Friday, May 27, 2005

Handyman Husband

My husband. You gotta love him. Very handy. About 6 years ago we bought a "fixer upper." We looked at it, said "wow, what a dump, where do we sign?" My husband, remember, very handy assured me that we could "make her like new". ( He probably said "we might be able to keep the health department at bay"). We decided that with three active kids we had to start on finishing the basement. We had spent a really fun winter putting on our coats and boots to go outside just to get to the basement. Steps were first on our list of priorities and that went really well. Confidence was building. We decided that we could probably do most of the work ourselves. Again, it was going really well. We hammered and cut wood and measured (sometimes in that order). But hey, were saving money. Normally we would work together. After he got home from work we would get a few hours in. Except for the day he decided to work without me. I was volunteering for 3 hours once a week teaching Art. My husband decided that because he was off work that he would put some construction time in. After all there was only one piece of molding left to nail upat the ceiling. It would go really fast because we have an electric nail gun. Very cool, also very fast, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Ok, so he's alone. With a nail gun. Alone, with a nail gun. Perhaps just a brief mention of a few things so you the reader can gain a little perspective. When I say "alone with a nail gun" you should be thinking, "oh the humanity." This is the man that bleeds everytime he plays a sport. You're thinking "rugby? football? maybe soccer?" I gotta tell you it's more like, checkers, foosball and air hockey. This is the guy who was talking on the phone at work, fell off his chair, hit his head on a chalkboard and blacked out. He woke up and the guy talking to him never knew a thing. Love him. Ok so back to being alone. So he gets the board and the nail gun and climbs the ladder. Again, ladder, not a good sign. Did I mention that we live in a modular home? It has these metal hooky things hanging from the ceiling. Well as my husband climbed the ladder, he sort of misjudged the distance between the metal hooky thing and his skull. Oh, he has a minor depth perception problem. Absolutely essential in both air hockey and construction. So, long story short, the hooky thing jams right into his forehead. He immediately knows this has the potential to go bad. Remember, board in one hand, nailgun in the other. He pulls his head out of the metal and blood starts to gush. Oh, he also doesn't like the sight of blood. We visited my cat in the hospital and he passed out. So, he's feeling a little woozy but he's already on the ladder, and he only has one little nail to fire into the board. He finds a paper towel, sticks it to the cut and decides to finish. He is so brave, and what a work ethic! One nail. Just one. He aims, he fires...he shoots the nail.... right through his thumb. Can you imagine the newspaper article on that one. Wife finds husband bleeding to death, nailed to the basement ceiling. Fortunately it has a happy ending. He managed to stay conscious long enough to get the nail out of his thumb and tend to his cut. I was of course very sympathetic. I told him to please never work alone again and the very next day I bought him 2 new tools. A pair of welders gloves and a hardhat. I would like to say that was the only incident of its sort but this is a blog and not a novel

11 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

I don't just laugh out loud, I pee out loud when I read your blog!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Karen Hevesy said...

Your comment is making Jim and I laugh!!!

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is sooo funny. I was crying I was laughing so hard. My husband says that I have a "sick" sense of humor. Accidents just give me a belly laugh. You should have seen me the time my husband ran into the full glass door. I just stood over him convulsing with laughter, I could see that there was only a little blood from where his glasses had impailed his nose.

I am a friend of Zo's and Alex's mom.'
Renee' Grant

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Ouch! I'm cringing and laughing. Was it my husband who didn't realize Jim had passed out and therefore kept talking?

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Abby Cannon said...

Poor jim! He's such a trooper. Not because he nailed his thumb, but because he has to put up with being our personal entertainment in your hilarious blog!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Karen Hevesy said...

I asked permission to share it- I think he thinks it's so funny no one will believe it!

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps me laughing..Thanks Karen! Your humor really is a gift to us on staff. Daryl

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

I'm laughing so hard! I almost spit out the ice cream I was eating as I was reading! Now I know the full story behind that cut on Jim's head a while back!

Your story and your friend Renee's remind me of the very first time Josh came up to spend time with my family and I after we started courting. While waiting for dinner he and my dad started throwing the football around. My dad tossed it and Josh ran after it . . . and ran into the side of the barn! He about knocked himself out! He had cuts on his face that were bleeding and his shoulder hurt for weeks. Bill Morrison said that maybe my dad was trying to knock him off.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Danielle,
Maybe Josh was just blind in love.
We all have stories, don't we? I remember when Paul was remodeling the bathroom at our second house. It was nearly 10 pm and he'd been working literally since 8 a.m. He was ripping out tile in the tub area and that awful metal mesh it sticks to. He was breaking tile with the blunt end of the hammer and pulling out mesh with the clawed end. I begged him "please, please please quit before you're so tired you bang your head with the hammer or something and end up a bloody mess on the floor." Well, he said, 10 more minutes and I'll have this tile all knocked out. I climbed into bed, pulled up the sheets, and then heard a "Aah! Aah! Zo?! Get me a paper towel or somethin." He should have said get me 14 beach towels-- the blood from a gash on his forehead almost undid me. "How'd you do that, honey" "I--was-" (dramatic sigh, heroic dabs of paper towel) "I was pulling that last piece of mesh out and the hammer slipped." If he hadn't gashed his head, that piece would NOT have been the last cuz I saw more sticking to the tub wall! I was fighting laughter, annoyance, and maybe a tad bit of sympathy. (Not much of the last after I've warned the contractor-turned-E.R.-visitor when I'm in a fresh nightgown.) He ended up with a butterfly bandage and a Herculean headache. To this day, I hate the words of a man with tools in hand saying, "Just 10 more minutes."

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Karen-
I want another story while I'm in Kansas this week! I'll be checking your blog (and everyone else's) on Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday. (The rest of the time I'll be in KC, MO at a Women of Faith Conference.) I Hate typing the word "faith" , by the way. The letters F-a-t slip out before the I. Women of Fat Conference, here I come.

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You really need to keep a watch on your hubby. The poor man is a walking disaster waiting to happen. I'm sure by now you've rounded all the sharp corners and edges on everything in your house. Maybe padding the walls would be in order.
Stairs??? Not such a good idea.
It was a pleasure having you visit my blog. Welcome and please stop by again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home