Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Grief Camp

The other day I was reading the newspaper. I came across an article about a camp for children who have lost a parent. It’s called “Grief Camp.” Having recently lost my mother, I read the article with great interest. Grief Camp. I could get into that. I’m grieving, and I …hate camping. Hmmm. I guess they don’t have grief …shopping. Or grief…Chinese buffet. Now that’s what I’m talking about. So I called my sister and told her all about grief camp. I think we should go. How old do you have to be? Hmmm, lets see….ages 7 to….18. I guess 40 is too old. Would they fall for a big boned kid with glandular issues? No. Well, that didn’t stop my sister and I from thinking about how it would be if we signed up for camp. Check-in. Do you have private rooms? We would both have to sleep on the bottom bunk. Those little 2x4’s that hold up the top bunk would snap like a toothpick. How would you like to be the 8 year old, on the bottom bunk and see me climbing the ladder to the top bunk. These kids got enough to worry about without having to think they’re going to be smothered by a mattress in the middle of the night. Breakfast? This is my sister. Uh, yea, I’ll have a large skim, light foam, mocha latte with 2 splendas, on the side and could you put that in a travel mug? Oh, and a 7 grain oat muffin with some…..lite raspberry marmalade….no, I’m feeling crazy…I’ll take some low fat strawberry cream cheese. On the side. The cafeteria kid would just look at her and say….we got milk. and …and cereal. What’s a travel mug? Now breakfast may energize little kids but personally it makes me sleepy. I would love to make a paper plate kite, but without coffee first, I’m gonna have to catch you after my morning nap. Ok, you wake me when..its, lets say, lunchtime. Alrighty than, have a good time. I prepare my sister for the reality that they more than likely do not have a sushi bar at lunch. I know, I’m just as surprised as you are. I tell her I’ll wrap some hotdogs in leaves if that will help. She says it’s not the same, and weeps openly. The low latte level is taking its toll. We go to fitness hour. They want us to run an obstacle course. We both decide to fake sprained ankles. We fight over who gets a right sprained ankle and who gets a left one. I tell her I’m going with a pulled hamstring. Then she wants to go with pulled hamstring. I was gonna go with chest pains, but with being 40 I thought they’d want to airlift me out. I just want to take a nap in the infirmary, lets not get crazy here. As it worked out, she went with the left sprained ankle and I threw up the hotdogs and leaves. We both get to nap. They have one of those “trust exercises” where you have to fall backwards to show that you can completely trust someone. They teamed me up with a 9 year old girl. I totally trusted her, she had honest eyes. And as it turned out, really weak arms . She was a good kid, and I bet she didn’t mean half of the things she shouted as they strapped her to the backboard. The important thing is, she was trustworthy. Ten weeks in traction? She could do it standing on her head…oh, she will be standing on her head? What a trooper. Is that the dinner bell? I don’t think they are really going to let us go to grief camp. I figure if the object of it is to remember the good times, laugh a lot, and be there for each other. We’re good.

19 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Yay! I am sooooo happy you're back.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the new look to your blog. So glad to see you're back . . . No matter what the circumstance, you're so gifted to add humor. :)

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Sacha said...

YEY! I missed you Karen!! Thank you for the laughter that you bring to my life (and everyone else's)!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Abby Cannon said...

HA HA HA!!!! I love the "weak armed" girl. Jimmy and I were laughing our heads off! Too cute. You are just too much. :)

Keep em comin. I need a little spice in my life during those times when I take myself too seriously.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Beth Young said...

Karen. You honestly can't be this funny. I have tears streaming. You are downstairs right now listening to the Wiggles and watching my babies. I am so thankful for you, your time that you spend with my children while serving me while I work. And read your blog. Love you tons.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Welcome, back, Karen. I appreciate so much that you can still laugh though your heart is heavy. I was really cracking up picturing you (no, actually ME) as the 40 year old climbing up to the second bunk. I can just picture the look of sheer horror on the face of the bottom bunker. You often come to mind and I pray for you. How about Grief Spa? Could you be talked into that?

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

Not only does God provide relief and comfort to you and your sis through your time of grieving but also manages to bless all of your readers (I'm sure the number is growing), too. What amazing grace, my friend.

Funny that I saw that ad myself and was very intriqued, wondering where was grief camp when I was 12?? It was more like a grief boot camp for this chic, but God was and remains faithful. Praying for you, trusing God's promise to bind up the brokenhearted. Love ya, friend!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Karen, is that your story on the Girl Talk "Friday Funnies" post?

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We missed you!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

My hubby read this one and said you could write for Letterman. I'm sure that's just what you always dreamed of doing, isn't it?! :)
Nevertheless, I think you and Laurie should do some research for a publisher. It is just not right that the little community of bloggers should be the only ones to benefit from the gifts God's given to you both to encourage others so uniquely through the written word!

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Abby Cannon said...

I AGREE!!!! You and Laurie should go into business together.

I guess I'm just glad that I can benefit from these blogs and maybe someday the rest of the world will get their turn.

:)

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Tara said...

It's great to see you blog again. I am very sorry about the loss of your mother!

Thank you for providing so much laughter on my end- it is good medicine for the soul!

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was so funny. Thank you for the laughs:)
Pauline

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,
It looks like you're coming up on a year of blogging. Anything planned for celebration. Is there going to be a "Best of" cd coming out? Seriously, I'd listen to it all the time!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Pauline said...

I read this a liitle while back and wanted to share it with my sister who was diagnosed with MS recently. Anyway, I was so happy to type grief camp in the blog search and have this pop up...she will be blessed by your humor :)

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Pauline said...

I had tears in my eyes (laughing so hard) and I woke up my 4 year old from your post on rescueing your 3yr old from "drowning". I would like to continue to read about your life...but I have asthma and may have to stay hooked up to the nebulizer just to get through your blog entries...Truly entertaining...who needs television

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger faith ann raider said...

I laughed SOOOO hard!! Thank you :-)

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen,

I am glad I finally found your blog site!!

Anne

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie Charles

Anne's mother said Karen you
really have talent. Do try to get
this published.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home