Monday, November 07, 2005

MVP

I could describe myself as a lot of things. Athletic is not one of them. It’s not even in the top one hundred. I think I can confidently say I have never mastered a sport. Or played one well… Or even just OK. Honestly when you come right down to it… I’m a disaster at sports. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t try. If they gave out awards for trying, I’d get one every time. Not first place but at least a ribbon that says “participant.” Hey, not everybody gets one of those. Oh, everybody gets one? Are you sure? Anyway, my long history of participation began with bowling. It’s a sport. Yes, it is! I joined the bowling league ran by our Catholic church. I was about 7. My brother and sister and I joined, although we were on separate teams. We would get on the “bowling bus” and go and compete against other Catholic bowlers. Remember this was a religious league, when I tell you how they ousted me. Things did not go well the first couple of weeks. Things started to fall apart when it was my turn and they couldn’t find me. Hmm…where’s Karen? I wonder….look at the snack bar…Or the arcade, or the bathroom, or on somebody else’s lane. Look anywhere but where she’s supposed to be. My team would have to look for me, and when I finally took my turn, I’ll just say I wasn’t really knockin’ em down….At all. I averaged around a 40…On a good day. One day the bowling bus came and my team said “If you don’t want to come today, you don’t have to” In fact, you don’t ever have to come. In fact, don’t come. You stink. I stopped, thought about what they had just said…..Oh, well….could I just come and hang out at the snack bar? Do you promise not to bowl? I promise. I kinda hated it anyway. I like bowling now, so I think I said that just to mask the pain, or I was afraid, if I resisted they would shut the bus doors and I wouldn’t get any bowling alley pizza that day. On to softball. Same Catholic league. I joined the team. Got my uniform. Showed up at every practice. For 2 years. Played one game. I think it was the summer of the big Scarlet fever outbreak, the only choices were me and the legally blind kid with the one leg. Come to think of it, the blind one legged kid was sick too. I remember they called her, her mom wouldn’t let her come. So I guess it was me or forfeit. I played right field. When the ball came towards me, I ducked, covered my head with my glove and screamed. Did I mention I was afraid of the ball? After that I was “equipment girl.” Which is really a short title for “we’ll let you come if you promise not to play.” During the games I would put the catcher’s chest protector on my head and strut around clucking like a chicken. I never taught my kids how to hit a ball, but they can do a mean chicken impression. Do you think the Pope approves of the cut-throat, win at any cost attitude of its youth sports programs? If I ever meet him, I’m telling. Middle school cheerleader. Got knocked down when the players ran onto the sideline. Made my skirt all dirty. I was done. I was really loud though. Loud I got, my cartwheel could have used some work. Highschool gymnastics team. Lets see, afraid of the balance beam, 4 inches wide? Seriously? Afraid of the pummel horse. First of all, there ain’t no way I running fast enough to climb over that thing and you want me to flip over it…head first? Yea, that’s gonna happen. Uneven parallel bars. I’m terrified of heights, so I decided to just swing on the bottom bar and get used to it. Got a blister the first day. Lets talk floor exercise. I was actually doing a good job. I got as far as making up a routine. The night of the show for our parents, the coach asked for someone to volunteer to run the music. She was looking right at me. I volunteered. New title “music girl.” Also….. a….. Catholic….. team. Just curious, do you know the zip code for Vatican city? E-mail address? Do you just address it like letters to Santa, just write “Pope” and it gets there? Not that I’m bitter.

16 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Zoanna said...

We love you just the way you are. (Especially since you're so much like me.) Sports are overrated anyhow. What's more, chicken impressions are back "in" , don'tcha know?

The legally blind kid was my brother. Up to that point I was laughing.

Psych! I got no brothers.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

You bring up a rather painful memory of teammates' parents yelling, "what is she doing?!?!" when I tried to make my single a home run. Hey I was excited. I hit the ball for once! I think it was brave not stupid.

Yeah, I have to agree with Zo - sports are definitely overrated. Don't tell my husband I said that.

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, I have no athletic ability what so ever! I am not going to even pretend, I say NO coming right out of the gate, no suprise there. But, I can swing a mean laundry basket.
Love ya, mean it!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

I think Mark Altrogge might have the address to Vatican City seeing that he did the announcements there and all! :)

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Abby Cannon said...

I guess growing up with 3 older brothers forced me to play sports. Although I think you have to play them frequently to keep up the skill because now I would be "water girl" or "ball girl" or "scorekeeper", ya know?

Don't feel bad. Feel good because it gives others a good laugh to see someone who "stinks" at sports. You're bringing joy to others...

Oh well, I tried.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shut up, Abby. You are good at sports! Remember your freakish bowling ability? You started with gutters, and by the fifth frame it was strikes and spares. You are simply not in the athletically impaired club...no matter how much time has passed since you played organized sports.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yea, that Abby! But ya know KH had the bowling thing down. She had some pretty amazing techniques when it came to finger positioning...

I thought the basics were taught when you were in a bowling league.

I'm gonna have to get lessons.

Just kidding...

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Karen Hevesy said...

Ok, I think the first anonymous is Laurie, can't figure out the second one. It has to be one of 5 people, because that's all that have seen me bowl in the last 32 years. So, who are you?

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first anonymous can't be Laurie. Does she say "shut up"? It sounds more like LB.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Karen Hevesy said...

You are right, I thought Laurie because she said "freakish" Laurie always describes my handwriting as freakish. Okay so if Libby is first, I still don't know who the second is. Who knows about my amazing finger positions? Obviously someone with a flair for the imaginative. I believe I bowled somewhere around a ....70 that night. This is fun, I like guessing the posters.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a quick question. Would you consider riding in the car with MM driving an extreme sport? You did really well at that...especially the whole chanting "we're gonna die" and, "if I never see you again, I want you to know that I love and appreciate you". Poor LB, blamed for saying the S.U. word(s).

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

If handwriting freakishly neatly all in caps was a competitive sport you really would be MVP girl!

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you're driving with someone scary when the words "living will" come up in conversation.

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I went to Catholic school. Never had any kind of sports even offered. The only physical activity I had during my growing up years was the time my girlfriend Marlene and I had a fight. We fought like girls - you know, flailing arms, faces turned to one side all squinched up. That's as physical as I got until I was a teen and discovered Rock & Roll - then I became a dancing fool!

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

still can't figure anonymous #2 or #3 out, huh?

And who knows, I could be #4...

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Bipin Sen said...

ok, i had to leave a comment on this one since it cuts so close to home. i have to admit i've had the exact same experience. i never excelled in any one sport, but boy did i participate in all! the funny thing is, i always came in *third* in every competition. 200m, 400m, long jump, high jump, soccer... always third. well, for soccer, i can always blame the other ten guys on the field, but still. so there's something to be said about trying! here's to all the "tryers" out there. at least we're not afraid...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home