Thursday, May 04, 2006

Messy Cat

Listening. I have been thinking a lot about listening lately. Jim came home from his annual physical. He triumphantly exclaimed that his “hearing is perfect, above average even.” I replied that I was not surprised at all. He then said that he was telling me this because I always accuse him of “not hearing me.” Really? Because that’s not how I remember it. I distinctly remember telling him “you never listen.” Is there a difference? Oh yeah. Now, that was two weeks ago. We have laughed about it several times. Ha Ha …hmmmm. I have had several, what I assume are “conversations” with Jim that have actually turned out to be one-sided monologues on my part. Hey Jim, I’m gonna run the kids to school, swing past the grocery store, make cookies, go to the library and meet a friend for lunch. The kids have a doctor’s appointment at 4 and we are having chicken for dinner. Are you feeling mashed or baked? Jim replied with “Uh..huh.” Alrighty than, see ya later, love ya. As soon as Jim gets to work, he calls me. What are you doing today? Seriously? I will admit I have a tendency to start a conversation in the middle and/or talk to him while he is still asleep. In this case he may or may not have been asleep. Not really the point I’m making here. In this next incident I know for a fact my sister was awake. I called my sister at work. Now I realize she is at work so I won’t be too hard on her. I start the conversation with, Jim wants to shoot messy cat. Not actually shoot him but rather scare him with the BB gun. He’s been getting in our trashcans again. I drove up and he jumped out of the trashcan. I don’t think it is necessary to harm him, he runs whenever you go near him. I don’t really think Jim would hurt him….my sister joins in. What does he look like? He’s rather hideous looking. I feel sorry for him. He’s orange and the kids and I named him messy cat because his hair is all funky. He has patches of smoothe regular hair and patches of rough-looking-all sticky-uppy hair. He has one big eye like he’s always surprised , and one squinty half closed eye. And the best part…he only has one ear. And it’s not like he has hair where the other ear was, he just has a hole. I don’t know if he was born with the ear and lost it in a fight or if he can hear out of the good ear….can you hear out of a hole in your head?…..my sister says, where does he live? I think the lady up the street feeds him and he stays in her shed. Now comes the part where I realize she is not listening. Is he married? Who? Messy cat. Is messy cat married? You’re asking me if a cat is married? Cat? It’s a cat? Are you kidding me, you think I have just told you that I have caught an orange haired, multi-sized-eyes, one eared man eating out of my trashcan, and I just shooed him away to go live in my neighbor’s shed? And that my husband wants to shoot him with a BB gun to scare him away. And the whole time I’m telling you this, you think it’s a man and although I talk to you every day, I never mentioned a man eats our trash? Now I realize once again that she is working so I won’t go into that his name is messy CAT!!! Is it me?

**no messy cats were harmed in the writing of this blog

11 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

I will have to remember this the next time I share at caregroup. Be careful what you share, you never know what Jim is hearing.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Zoanna said...

Your description of Messy Cat is classic. "Sticky-uppy" is what I'm talking about. Some days I feel like the conversations between Paul and me are orange-haired and sticky-uppy!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

Oh yeah, Josh and I have days like that. I'm talking and suddenly am like, "Hey, are you listening?" Of course, the fact that I talk all the time could tend to make one glaze over.

I have to say though, mostly, Josh is an excellent listener. In general our verbal relationship is great! :)

That was a great story, as usual, I was laughing!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

Karen,
Laughing out loud with tears streaming down my face!

Lawrence cannot navigate traffic and listen to me at the same time. Actually, he is very typically male in the sense that he can not really do anything else and listen to me at the same time.
But, we've agreed upon a remedy. I try really hard to not talk to him when I know he's pre-occupied w/ something else, which could be as simple as tying one of the boy's shoes or as complicated as talking on the phone with someone else. And, he tries to graciously stop me when he's hearing a faint "blah, blah, blah" sound to tell me that he wasn't listening to me. It works SOME of the time. :)

SO, did Jim mame the cat?

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen, I do remember having a conversation about a messy cat, but, after that it's a blur. I guess I didn't have my effective listening ears on. Which is customer service 101 listening to the person and really understanding what they're telling you. Oops I failed. Love Ya.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Beth Young said...

Girl, you funny.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Abby Cannon said...

HA! love it! You make my day every time! Tell your sister thanks for all the "blog stories"! You better not get on her bad side or we'll lose a lot of interesting blogs!

:)

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Briana Almengor said...

We're needing some Karen Hevesy humor over at the Almengor's. :)
Write another one soon...no pressure.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Beth Young said...

ok, all of your stories are now boring. Boring, boring, boring. Come up with something new!!! Was I mean enough to entice you to come back to the blog? Come baaaaaack.............more funnies!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Karen Hevesy said...

Yea, you're right. I have a very stressful part-time job, maybe I need to quit that so I can blog full-time!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger karen! said...

That is so funny. I feel your angst. My husband has that not listening thing going on much of the time too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home